Red Cowgirl Boots Welcome!


Welcome to my blog!

I am a young agricultural enthusiast focused on spreading the "Colorful" world of Agriculture.

Involved with an amazing group of other Calgary Stampede Summer Synergy Youth who are committed to promoting Agricultural to others. I was introduced to blogging in participation for the Summer Synergy Marketing Campaign, which has truly inspired me.

I am excited to share my thoughts, comments, on serious and fun aspects of Agriculture. I hope that if you have an opinion on my subject matter, that you will leave a comment - I want to know how you feel, from both my agriculture and urban friends. Lets have some fun, relive some memories, make new memories and talk about what really matters most - help spread the word of Agriculture.

Get your boots out, dust them off, and join me in adding a bit of color to Agriculture!

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

4-H Selections

A week and a half ago (April 30 - May 2) I was lucky enough to go to Alberta 4-H Selections at Olds College. If you don't know what Selections is its a Seniors conference where we take part in discussions, sessions and activities relevant to 4-H youth. Participants have the opportunity to represent Alberta at various 4-H events around Canada and the United States. Trips include Montana 4-H Congress, National 4-H Citizenship Seminar, National 4-H Conference, California 4-H Exchange, and NWT Agriculture Development Tour. I was the successful recipient to be awarded with the National 4-H Citizenship Seminar in Ottawa next April.


Upon arriving to the Agricultural College we were sent off to meet our
 roommates and see the luxurious dorm rooms.  

140 4-H members from around Alberta attending Selections and we were split into groups of 10 for our sessions. Sessions consisted of learning about life after high school and moving out. We learned about finding the right roommate, if the college residents are right for us, budgeting, and eating healthy. My group of ten, the Rhinoceroses were a very outgoing amazing group. Our group worked so well together sharing ideas communicating well with everyone being leaders.



Some Rhino's



More Rhinos








I really wasn't sure what to expect when I decided to go to selections and was a little scared to attend, believe it or not. I wasn't sure if I would be accepted, if I was the right type of person to be going, or if I was wearing the right clothing. After 4 days in Olds I realized I really had nothing to be worried about. I should have took a deep breathe, really looked at the situation and I would have realized that its 4-H. No matter how different I was, no matter what I wore, or how I acted I would have been accepted by this amazing group of people as many of them were just as worried as me.


Rhino's with our finger Moustaches
 This weekend event really changed my perspective on 4-H. I wasn't sure if I was really going to miss it compared to the other things in my life. We ended the week with a torch lighting ceremony. This consisted of a member from each small group speaking about their experiences, thoughts, and time at Selections. As I was listening, trying to take everything in I started to tear up. After nine AMAZING years in 4-H I really started to appreciate what its done for me.

Trust/leadership exercise
Me, Katie and Jenalee









I know this may seem like just another story, but 4-H really has made me a better person. I can easily public speak in front of people and because of it I get to do the "Toast To Friends" speech at my grad this coming June. When I started 4-H I was one of the timid, shy girls that would never have had the confidence I have today. The responsibility and accountability it has shown me with feeding and taking care of cattle, I believe, will help me to succeed in the future. 4-H has given me self-confidence, has made me become more outgoing, and showed me I shouldn't care what people think. This weekend at Selections pushed me beyond my boundaries, making me strive to become more outgoing.

My favorite quote is by Audrey Hepburn:

"As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself, the other for helping others."

Whenever I hear this quote it makes me think of 4-H members because I truly believe that they are always their to lend a helping hand to others.



 
Katie, Me, Sam and Terra
Selections  2011 <3





No comments:

Post a Comment