Red Cowgirl Boots Welcome!


Welcome to my blog!

I am a young agricultural enthusiast focused on spreading the "Colorful" world of Agriculture.

Involved with an amazing group of other Calgary Stampede Summer Synergy Youth who are committed to promoting Agricultural to others. I was introduced to blogging in participation for the Summer Synergy Marketing Campaign, which has truly inspired me.

I am excited to share my thoughts, comments, on serious and fun aspects of Agriculture. I hope that if you have an opinion on my subject matter, that you will leave a comment - I want to know how you feel, from both my agriculture and urban friends. Lets have some fun, relive some memories, make new memories and talk about what really matters most - help spread the word of Agriculture.

Get your boots out, dust them off, and join me in adding a bit of color to Agriculture!

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Giving Back - A Salute to Volunteers!

This week I have the opportunity to join my sister, Brittney, as a Ponoka Stampede Public Relations Volunteer  in the private venue boxes. I have the opportunity to interact with business professionals in many areas including: Agriculture, Banking, Oil & Gas, Retail, and Building Construction. The Ponoka Stampede is celebrating its 75th year of Rodeo, and what an exciting event, that is put on by hundreds of Community Volunnteers.

 Last evening, at the opening ceremonies we paid tribute to the many families that were instrumental in starting the first Ponoka Stampede in 1936, and many of these families are very well known in Canadian Professional Rodeo. I tip my hat to the Doran/Wierzba, Butterfield, Vold, Dorchester & Dodds Families who were there in the beginning. These families continue to volunteer generation after generation in many aspects of Rodeo, including the Ponoka Stampede and it just goes to show how continued volunteering and dedication can have an event continue to grow and be successful. I am proud to be a Ponoka Stampede Volunteer and thank you to the other Ponoka Stampede Volunteers for giving your time to make it such a huge success. 

Many of us who have gone through the 4-H program understand how much self satisfaction you get from volunteering. As part of our 4-H Diary points, we are required to give some of our time to a charity of some sort to complete our year. Through my 9 years of 4-H I have feed the hungry not only by collecting for the food bank, but also working in a soup kitchen feeding the homeless. We worked as a team to raise funds for a fellow 4-H member stricken with Cancer by putting on a Pancake breakfast. We have raised steers together to auction off and donate funds to Cancer research, Big Brothers & Sisters, Stars Ambulance and much more. Together we have improved our environment by cleaning many miles of ditches, and recycled oil filters, tires and cell phones. A sense of pride knowing just giving a bit of our time makes a difference to so many.  

Growing up with a mom who was involved in Kinettes, I had the opportunity to assist in making pies for a community fundraiser, assist in building a community playground, and just last year I hosted a Hypnotist fundraiser donating over $800 to the future Kinette Spray Park for the upcoming kids of our community. 

Volunteering, mentoring, and doing community service has a long term effect on the youth and the future of our society. How giving a little bit of your time can make a huge impact on everyone. I take pride in giving of my time to mentoring youth in gaining confidence, self awareness and the importance of giving back. I give so much credit to so many volunteers and mentors that I have had that took me out of my comfort zone and encouraged me to just try, I have never looked back.  It is amazing how one persons kindness can change your direction. 

Please take the time to recognize the many volunteers that help us improve our communities - or better yet volunteer a bit of your time, the satisfaction you get from just one happy smile, will be more payment than you will ever need!

As Audrey Hepburn once said, “Remember if you ever need a helping hand you’ll find one at the end of your arm. As you get older you will discover you have two, one for helping yourself, the other for helping the others.”

2 comments:

  1. I think it is so awesome that you and your siblings volunteer. One of the +'s of living in a rural area. I wish my two would volunteer. Keep the good work! Love the Audrey quote, she was a great ambassador for volunteer work. AL

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first three Louboutin Pumps were designed with the same uppers in different colors.

    ReplyDelete