Red Cowgirl Boots Welcome!


Welcome to my blog!

I am a young agricultural enthusiast focused on spreading the "Colorful" world of Agriculture.

Involved with an amazing group of other Calgary Stampede Summer Synergy Youth who are committed to promoting Agricultural to others. I was introduced to blogging in participation for the Summer Synergy Marketing Campaign, which has truly inspired me.

I am excited to share my thoughts, comments, on serious and fun aspects of Agriculture. I hope that if you have an opinion on my subject matter, that you will leave a comment - I want to know how you feel, from both my agriculture and urban friends. Lets have some fun, relive some memories, make new memories and talk about what really matters most - help spread the word of Agriculture.

Get your boots out, dust them off, and join me in adding a bit of color to Agriculture!

Friday, June 10, 2011

In the Classroom


Welcome to another issue of in the classroom! This week I had the pleasure to go to Mrs. Blackwell grade 5 class, at Ponoka Elementary School! I wasn't to sure how the class would react but once again I got an amazing class to present to. They were very involved and interested in the presentation and knew a lot more about agriculture than I thought!

Enter the classroom I felt very welcomed by the grade 5er's. I introduced myself and explained why I was there and why learning about agriculture was important. I started my presentation with some simple questions, such as, "how many kids lived on a farm". Much to my surprise 6 out of the 20 kids raised there hand! Next I asked some of the kids favorite food. I got a variety of answers from rice to deer streak! We decided to look particular into the ingredients in perogies. I asked what agricultural products were used to make perogies, how we get these products, and if they are grown in Alberta? They talked about how potatoes and cheese were the main ingredients and mentioned that we get potatoes from the ground and cheese from dairy cows. They also said that we usually get these products from Alberta. I also had a student explain to me how to kill a deer to make deer steak.

We went thought Beef cattle first and they kids had a variety of answers to the question, "how many months until a calf is born?". I think we got every month till we finally got 9! :) I explained the different products made from cattle and they were pretty disgusted with the fact ice cream and jello have cows bones and horns in it. I next explained the difference between a heifer, bull, and cow. Next we talked about pigs and just like the cows I explained the different terminology for them. They were pretty surprised to find out that pigs can learn tricks faster than dogs and can learn to respond to a name in 2 to 3 weeks after birth. Sheep came next in my presentation. I explained to them how sheep are timid, easily frightened animals who like to stay together and how their only means of survival is to flock together in large numbers and run. The class was a little grossed out when I informed them about the sheep intestine being used for hot dog and sausage casings.Dairy cows came next and they all knew that a cow has to have a calf to produce milk and that chocolate milk does not come from a brown cow!
The class had tons of question after the presentation and they even stumped me on some! One of the kids asked, "how much corn does a chicken eat?", much to my surprise I quickly answered, "enough to be full". There was lots of other questions. "How many eggs do chickens lay?" "How many glasses of milk would 10 dairy cows produce?" "How many stomachs do horses have?" "The difference between a bull and a steer?" "How many calves can a cow have?" They really entertained me and I hope they enjoyed and learned from my presentation!

If you would like to check out my PowerPoint presentation it is posted to my last "In the Classroom" blog!

I'm sorry I haven't posted to much lately working 2 jobs, helping on the farm, going to school full time, playing baseball, and studying for diplomas and finals have been taking up the majority of my time. Hopefully this weekend I will have time to get some posts up! :) Don't forget to check out my "In the Beginning" tab on my farms history, as well as, the "This and That" tab that is filled with insightful quotes to try and brighten your day!

~Carling

3 comments:

  1. I received your link from a fellow teacher, and have to say you have taught me quite a bit about farming. I am a teacher in Edmonton and played your presentation, from your previous classroom blog to my grade 5 students. I found the questions that they asked very interesting. Kids do want to know more about agriculture, and I plan to add a more detail to my Canadian studies lessons. Thanks for going the extra mile. Best of luck to you with your project, I hope you continue to keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I could add some insight on agriculture to your classroom too! If you would like to have a presentation I would be happy to come to your class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you to Mrs. Blackwell of Ponoka Elementary School, for another invitation to present my Agricultural presentation to her grade 5 class. Unfortunately with my diplomas, and school ending we were not able to fit this into the school schedule before the year ends. Ths just shows how if you start spreading the word of agriculture, that people really do want to hear it!

    ReplyDelete