Red Cowgirl Boots Welcome!


Welcome to my blog!

I am a young agricultural enthusiast focused on spreading the "Colorful" world of Agriculture.

Involved with an amazing group of other Calgary Stampede Summer Synergy Youth who are committed to promoting Agricultural to others. I was introduced to blogging in participation for the Summer Synergy Marketing Campaign, which has truly inspired me.

I am excited to share my thoughts, comments, on serious and fun aspects of Agriculture. I hope that if you have an opinion on my subject matter, that you will leave a comment - I want to know how you feel, from both my agriculture and urban friends. Lets have some fun, relive some memories, make new memories and talk about what really matters most - help spread the word of Agriculture.

Get your boots out, dust them off, and join me in adding a bit of color to Agriculture!

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Agricate - Educating the Urban Population

Farming really is a dream come true! I wouldn't trade having wide open spaces, freedom, and the experiences that come with it for anything in the world. It doesn't seem like the most pampered lifestyle: waking up early, working long hours, and working each and every day of the year; but farmers continue doing it with out a complaint (well except about the weather). They don't do it for the fluctuating cattle market or the quick changing weather conditions; but for the unconditional love of the job, of the animals, and the land that has been passed down from generation to generation. I think about living in the city and the positives about living there; but, no matter how great the mall, school, or restaurants are it can't compare to living on a farm.

Till the past month or so I never really considered how much urban people don't know about livestock, agriculture, and farming. I was blessed with my sisters synchronized skating team staying at my house for a competition. Sixteen city girls, ages 18 to 25, sleeping in my basement. I was VERY thrilled... Many of them had never stayed at a farm so you can see their excitement to see huge bulls just outside the house. We took them over to the calving pen and now I can officially say that I've seen a 23 year old girl practically crying, laughing because a cow was peeing, just right out in the open. Watching them step over puddles, poop, and mud so they wouldn't get their rubber boots dirty made me laugh and how they didn't understand that if they ran the cattle would run away.


My goal for ``Agricate`` is to try to educate and answer questions from the urban population of our world. At my 4-H show and sale I realized just how much more we need to communicate, with our urban neighbours, when a class from the local school came to watch. Looking at them sitting in the stands they seemed a little confused and un-interested with what was going on. Venturing towards the students I asked if they had any questions. Much to my surprise half of their hands went up asking questions such as, "Why do they use a stick in the ring?" "Does everything get butchered?" "Are they all boys?" "Will that cow be at McDonalds?". I answered them as best as I could and concidering the age the group I decied to only answer the question, "Whats the difference between a heifer and a streer?" with "ones a boy and ones a girl".

2 comments:

  1. That's fantastic you took the time and initiative to help answer students' questions at your 4-H show. I'm sure they appreciated it, and will long remember the information you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hope I helped them understand what was going on and I hope to help other youth understand agriculture. :)

    ReplyDelete